Friday, January 1, 2010

Everyone else is doing lists so why can't I?


So the noughties are over. What do we call this next decade? I vote for the Tweenies. I mean I remember when I was 12 I wanted so deperately to be a teenager and the word then was a tweenager. I was in the "in between" (reference to the lovely bones which I saw the other day) and wasn't quite a kid nor a cool teenager.

Anyhoo, so every paper, magazine, and tv current events show are doing lists of all the cool things that happened in the last decade, so I thought I would do it too.

So, here we are, The Inaugural Decade Academy awards

Best things that happened to me

Nominated:

Living in Melbourne - 2001-2003
Finishing my degree - 2005
Travelling and living in Europe - 2005-2007
Managing a backpackers' hostel - 2007-2009
Travelling to South America - 2009
Being Bridesmaid for my brother and sis n law's wedding - 2009

And the winner is....
Travelling and Living in Europe

This was the first proper travel I had ever done, and this wins the award for the amount of cool life changing stuff that happened, and the beautiful places I saw. I was the perfect age to do this trip, and had some amazing adventures, and met one of my best friends Tash who I travelled with for 6 months. There are still places that I didn't see or want to go back to see properly but I really loved Europe.

Favourite cities visited (non NZ)

Nominated:

Melbourne, Australia
Edinburgh, Scotland
Granada, Spain
Bologna, Italy
Galway, Ireland
Berlin, Germany
Krakow, Poland
Cuenca, Ecuador
Bariloche, Argentina
La Paz, Bolivia
Lisbon, Portugal
Stockholm, Sweden

And the winner is...
Gahh this is a hard one. I had some pretty amazing times in all of these places. But I'm going to have to give it to Granada. I spent a month there, and it is one of the most magical places I have ever been. Honorable mentions would go to Galway, Melbourne, and Edinburgh.

The beautiful Alhambra Palace in Granada, Spain.



Favourite NZ spots I have travelled to

Nominations:

The Coromandel
Raglan
Wellington
Nelson
Marahau/Abel Tasman
Wanaka
Queenstown
Dunedin
Kaikoura
Franz Josef
Hanmer Springs
Akaroa

And the winner is...
Although I love all these spots, I'm going to have to give it to Marahau and the Abel Tasman. I spent a beautiful day, kayaking and walking with my good friend Hilton in one of the most georgeous scenic places in New Zealand.


Kayaking in the Abel Tasman

Best Adventure Activity

Nominations:

Kayaking in Abel Tasman
Skydiving in Wanaka
Canyon Swing in Queenstown
White Water Rafting in Rangitata
White Water Rafting in Scotland
White Water Rafting in Ecuador
White Water Rafting in Italy
Hot Air Ballooning in Canterbury
Glacier walk in Franz Josef
Jet Boat in Queenstown
Black water rafting in Waitomo
Bungi Jumping at Mt Hutt


And the winner is...
Actually I can't decide. I've been lucky enough to do these things, mostly through my job in hospitality and on the whole they were all pretty damn good.


Best concerts/gigs

Nominations:

David Bowie in Wellington
Violent Femmes in Christchurch
REM in Christchurch
Black Seeds in Christchurch
Gomez in Christchurch
Pearl Jam in Christchurch
Michael Franti and Spearhead in London
Fiona Apple in London
Dave Matthews in London
The Pogues in London
George in Melbourne
Something for Kate in Melbourne
Neil and Tim Finn with Eddie Vedder
Ben Harper in Christchurch
Ani Di Franco in Christchurch
Jack Johnson in Christchurch
PJ Harvey in Melbourne
Nick Cave in Melbourne

and the winner is...
Damn I've seen some good bands. So many of these people I have been wanting to see for so long so just seeing them was a dream come true. Meeting Michael Franti and having him comment on my tattoo was incredible, and seing Violent Femmes and David Bowie live...Wow! I can't decide. Just can't do it. It's like having to choose which child you love more.

The beautiful and talented Michael Franti

Best Movies

Nominations:
Amores Perros - 2000
Being John Malcovich - 2000
Amelie - 2001
Moulin Rouge - 2001
Y Tu Mama Tambien - 2001
Whale Rider - 2002
City of God - 2003
Touching the Void - 2003
Big Fish - 2003
The Motorcycle Diaries - 2004
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind - 2004
Hotel Rwanda - 2004
Crash - 2004
The Edukators - 2004
Shaun of the Dead - 2004
Imagine me and You - 2005
Pan's Labyrinth - 2006
Once - 2007
Across the Universe - 2007
Into the Wild - 2007
Man on Wire - 2008
Slumdog Millionaire - 2008
Milk - 2008
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

And the winner is...

Hard Category! Anyone that knows me even a little bit, knows that I love films. I think this selection gives a pretty good idea of the kinds of films I like, although I am certain I have missed some out. Finding my absolute fave from this list is pretty impossible, so I'm going to go with a 3 way tie. Congratulations "Into the Wild", "Across the Universe" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind".

Great film!

Anyway, that will probably do. I've had a decent year, and a decent decade. Obviously there have been horrible things that have happened and awesome things, but all in all it was pretty good.

4 comments:

Kimeros said...

I really enjoyed the way you did this.

It's an excellent way to do a year in review. The most interesting one I've read.

Frances said...

Great awards ceremony!

By the way, you were bridesmaid in 2009... not that I'm picky or anything, jus' sayin'...

Oooh and have you had your hair cut? Looks good!

Treezy said...

Changed the bridesmaid thing. Ta

Oh and yes I have had my hair cut. So nice of you to notice. Can you give me photos?

LK said...

Nice way to wrap up the decade. Good list but what haircut?