Saturday, July 24, 2010

First Week

So I started Grad school on Monday and it was definitely the right decision. Straight away, the vibe has been positive and while it is going to be an intense year (social bye bye for now) it will be worth it.

There are 34 of us in our intake (there was 35 but one guy left on day 3). 12 Secondary and 22 Primary. At the moment we are all together, as we're doing basic stuff like literacy, which is important for everyone.

On Day two we had to prepare a 4 minute talk for our peers which was incredibly nervewracking, and tomorrow we all go to Shirley Intermediate to start the first of 10 literacy lessons with a Year 8 (11-12 year old) student. In two weeks time we will be on our first teaching practice. It has been intense, but it is only just a year (or just over) and it pretty much ensures that I'll be a good, and well trained teacher (their style is totally different to anything else in the country but as it is so heavily practical produces great teachers) and should guarantee us a job (not necessarily permanent straight away).

So that's it really. I'm very glad I chose to do this. It totally feels like the right time in my life to be doing this. Everyone on the course is lovely and I am going to make some great new friends I think.

Living wise, I am house sitting at Mum and Dad's for the next month, and then very much looking forward to setting up a flat and getting my stuff out of storage (haven't seen a lot of it in over 5 years, I can't remember what I own anymore).

Today I am going to concentrate on sorting out what I'm doing for tomorrow's lesson and get that sorted. Conveniently it is raining outside so I'm not going to feel like I'm missing out too much.

No comments: