Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Trip has begun!

So my excruciatingly long day has been and gone and I'm here!

Nothing too exciting happened on the domestic flight, except it was cocktail hour! That means a glass of wine (don't normally get that on a domestic flight) and a cheese platter. Very posh! Only bad thing was that there was a huge man next to me on one side, and a sleeping man on the other. The gigantaman wasn't fat, but just huge! Probably about 6ft 5 and double my width in shoulder (and I'm not a small girl). Anyway, I got through that flight thanking my stars that it was only 1 hour 20, and not 12 hours, and sipping on my Sav Blanc, whilst trying to turn myself in a contortionist in my seat.

The international flight was fairly non eventful. We took off about 1hr late, due to to someone apparently having a medical emergency and having to get off the flight. It took a while as they had to find their flights. I didn't mind. I had movies to watch. I watched some good ones too. "(500) Days of Summer" which I really enjoyed, then forced myself to sleep before waking up to "The Men who Stare at Goats", which was quirky, before finishing up with "Nowhere Boy" which I liked but didn't love.

Got off the flight, and after only a quick chat with the customs guy, I was through and completely on the other side in only 20 mins from the time I got off the plane. I was being met by my couchsurfer Vera, and it all worked out. I was standing in the right spot, and she found me! A really nice, woman, I've really enjoyed staying here.
And my own room too! Which is a little bit of luxury before a lot of couches!

So my first impressions of LA are:

It's huge!
The people are so nice
The are lots of cars, and absolutely NOBODY walks.
There are a lot of palm trees
People can't understand my vowels when I speak
Completely normal(but then I haven't been to Hollywood yet - that's tomorrow).

Today I went to the California Science Centre which was sooo cool! My favourite part was the aquarium section where I got to see jellyfish, a school of fish and a man in a tank (he was cleaning or something) I also went to the Grammy Museum which was really interesting.

TOmorrow I head to Hollywood and I'm doing a tour which goes through some of the famous theatres in Hollywood (Kodak, Grauman's Chinese and Grauman's Egyptian). There's also the famous Hollywood hands things. I'm also heading to Venice and Santa Monica Beaches(apparently it is more about the cool things happening at the beach - buskers and the like) and then also to Warner Brothers where I am doing a behind the scenes tour. Lots of cool stuff still to see in LA.

No comments: