Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Sun has set

This will be a very NZ centric post. Although I don't think that I have any readers that are not kiwis.

So apparently in NZ not many people watch Sunrise, which is a news magazine show and TV3's version of TVNZ's Breakfast. I don't watch a lot of TV, but this show was great. I didn't watch it (or any morning news show) until Oliver Driver and his dog Jack came on the scene as co-host, but I soon grew to love the other presenters as well. I thought that this was a much more fun, and interesting way to hear about the news, and I thought that it was great!

However yesterday, I (and everyone else) found out that yesterday after their show, they were all called in to the board room, and told that that was their last show. They announced that they would do one last farewell show today, so I got up early, and watched the whole 1 hour tribute. And I found myself getting strangely teary (weird I know). I found myself really feeling sad that I would know longer have these guys to watch in the morning. They have replaced it with reruns of 80's shows like Magnum PI and it's just going to be crap. Will I swap? Hmm I don't know. I may just read a book. Apparently the show was axed because of lack of ratings, but I always thought that everybody watched it. All my friends did anyway.

So I know that it was only a show, and I'll definitely get over it without needing therapy.

However, Hitler was fairly upset...


Hitler Finds out TV3 Cancelled Sunrise - The funniest home videos are here


Speaking of watching things very kiwi-centric, I went to see "Boy" the other day. It was absolutely fantastic, and although I'm not sure that an international audience will appreciate all the nostalgic goodness, because it wasn't their childhood, it was just wonderful!



Suddenly the world of side pony tails, using the word faaaaaaar and egg as swear words, and boys wearing quite short shorts came back. This was my childhood, and it would have been good just for those cultural references, but the film is a great little gem in it's own right. I would hope that international audiences could appreciate that, but it's cool that there's a few "in jokes" that just us kiwis will get.

Whatever you do. GO. SEE. THIS. FILM

2 comments:

Frances said...

Love that Hitler clip! It turns up in everything!

LK said...

Looking forward to seeing Boy. Looks very cool.